160 lb's of Blade Runner goodness!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

160 lb's of Blade Runner goodness!!

Post by djrees56 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:20 pm

This just arrived today. I won this in a Profiles in History auction.It's a set decoration used in Blade Runner (1982). It was used in the scene were Pris is playing with the dolls head. It was actually behind her. See the pics for a screen grab. There are actually two of the futuristic air vents mounted on Sebastians wall. I don't know which one is mine.

It stands 5 foot 10 inches high. It's 27 inches wide and 9 inches deep. All crated up it weighs 160 lb's.

The description said it's fully functional. I didn't realize until today that it had lights in it THAT STILL WORK....short story: after removing the box lid I saw an electrical plug in coming out of the piece...on one side my "good" conscience said "No Dale,this was made by stage hands in 1982...don't plug it in"...my Sci Fi nerd conscience said " Oh for crying out loud..you have to try to plug it in...the auction house notes said it works...C'mon...don't be such a fraidy cat!!"

So with my eyes shut...and knowing I have the fire department on speed dial...I plugged it in...I didn't hear any pops or sizzles so I opened my eyes...HOLY COW!!

I'm probably going to get professional help to mount it because it weighs so much and to help me deal with the emotional effect of seeing it lit up Very Happy
djrees56

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 160 lb's of Blade Runner goodness!!

Post by Ken on Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:22 pm

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!! affraid That's f**king awesome DJ!!!!! Cool

Ken
Admin

View user profile https://bladerunner.americantalk.net

Back to top Go down

Post by djrees56 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:04 am

Thanks Ken Cool Very Happy
djrees56

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sawa on Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:24 pm

A quote from SRS
on-set photographs
by Stephen Vaughan

I like how this prop is functional, and can easily serve a purpose in your everyday, Dale. I suspect it may be far older than you think. Maybe it was an actual light fixture someplace before being utilized for TV/Film productions. Who knows ...perhaps it's a legitimate Art Deco piece from a bygone era, after all.

Your prop scored all 5 heads, 2 fast n' furious thrusts ...followed by a series of strong pulsations. BR wasn't inspired by Dick for nothing. The meter's result definitely substantiates your claim the emotional response effect will be significant, even heavenly.

2fuckingahhhhsome (somuchhotlampfuckicum  Embarassed ), Dale!

Angel
Sawa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by djrees56 on Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:22 am

Thanks Sawa!! Cool

The light fixture doesn't come across to me as professionally manufactured. The lights are mounted to plywood inside the piece,and you can see lots of drill holes where they "missed" whatever they were doing.

You might be right about it being used for another production or something. Ridley was sending people out to find anything "neon" for the sets. I'm thinking,since there's two of them,they might have been custom made for a stores display window.

I'm going to have professional cabinet makers make a stand for it.  Cabinet makers get asked to mount antique clocks etc... so they might know more about it.

I'm really glad the piece gave you such an emotional response...I'm tempted to offer you a cigarette Very Happy
djrees56

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken on Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:56 pm

bump Very Happy
Ken
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by djrees56 on Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:27 pm

Well, finally got it up and displayed. I hired a carpenter to make a custom stand/cabinet. It's mounted to the wall because of its height. I'm really happy with it. Smile

djrees56

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken on Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:23 pm

Hell of a piece of furniture! cheers Thanks for sharing even more awesomeness DJ!  Cool

Ken
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maj-Steve-Houston on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:21 am

One incredible set piece! surprised If I had anything like that it'd would've floated away this summer! Surfs up  @Ken added the ability to embed from Twitter more recently & so a couple of your prop displays have been newly linked via your Twitter @djrees56.  winky

@Sawa asked me to leave a light on for you. What a Face

Maj-Steve-Houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top